Starting March 28, 2021, we will return to in-person worship with Livestreaming on YouTube.
Our service will be live-streamed to our YouTube channel, SMC Newton, at 11 am. You can find our channel and access past services here.
9:30 am – Virtual Children’s Sunday school and Virtual Sharing time (contact the church office for links to these Zoom gatherings)
11:00 am – Worship in-person and/or online
Watch the most recent service:
Shalom Mennonite Church Re-Gathering Plan
Approved by the Congregational Board, September 10, 2020
- Sunday morning worship will be held in the church building, and online, when Harvey County’s positive case rate is below 10% with a stable or downward trend on Wednesday prior to the Sunday service (see chart).
Based on Kansas Department of Health and Environment published gating criteria
- The church office will notify the congregation weekly on Wednesdays whether to expect only virtual worship or also in-person worship on Sunday.
- Masks are required to enter the church building (extra masks will be provided at the door).
- Wash your hands just prior to leaving home for church.
- Hand sanitizer will be available.
- Stay at home if you are feeling ill or have come into contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Due to physical distancing requirements, sanctuary seating will be limited to approximately 68 people. This limited capacity should accommodate our congregation at this time. Those who are in the high-risk category (immunocompromised, chronic lung disease, moderate to severe asthma, heart conditions, etc.) are encouraged to weigh the health risk of attending in-person worship. (Please note: Harvey County currently limits mass gatherings to 50 people. Shalom will abide by county policy which means our cap is 50 people until this number is raised by the county.)
- The worship service will continue to be available for online viewing.
- The cooling system fan will run continuously to help keep the viral concentration dispersed.
- No in-person adult Sunday school or monthly potlucks.
- Entry will be through the north doors (unless you require handicap parking spaces).
- Households can sit together with a distance of six feet between households. (Pews are marked in two foot increments.)
- People will exit the building through the door facing 1st Street.
- Pre- and post-worship socializing may take place outside the building as long as physical distancing recommendations are respected.
- The Sunday morning worship will begin at 11:00 a.m.
- The worship service will last roughly 30-45 minutes.
- The Education Committee and Sunday School teachers will adjust the Children’s Sunday School plans to fit the new Sunday Schedule.
- The children’s area and nursery space will not be available.
- Baskets (and black pads) will not be passed for the offering. (Online giving is preferred, though baskets will be placed near the doors to the sanctuary for in-person contributions.)
- Announcements and prayer requests can continue to be communicated prior to the Sunday service and will be shared by the pastors during worship for those who prefer not to speak. If you would like to share during sharing time, a mic on a stand will be provided. Those who wish to share may do so one by one at the mic. Please continue to wear your mask while speaking.
- No congregational singing. (Music will be included in the worship service in other ways.)